This year I decided to make a DIY costume with a Harry Potter Theme. I really like Ginny, Ron Weasley’s’ sister so decided to go with her look. The wand that Ginny has is rather plain so I made the wand more in tune with my style.
I made the following:
I went with the Gryffindor robe as Ginny is in the Gryffindor House with Harry Potter. My sewing skills are really bad so I had to seek out the aid of an adult – more adult than myself. Jeannette my Magic Pixel partner who made my wedding dress was the perfect candidate and very willingly made the robe.
Buying the material. We need both red and black as these are the colours of the Gryffindor House.
Now we need to sew the red and black together as the red is on the inside of the robe and the black is on the outside.
This part is very important. The measurements. We measured the width of the arm. I will be dancing at the party so I wanted the robe loose to allow for movement and went for a shorter piece sewn together for the arm.
Now to sew everything that needs to be sewn.
I did some research on the wand before I started and initially intended on creating it from a wooden spoon. This did not go well, I swapped it for a dowel rod after realizing it just wasn’t working.
What I Used to Make It:
- Dowel rod – any size you like (I cut mine 35cm)
- Glue gun
- Acrylic paint
- Paint brushes (different sizes, artist brushes are best for finer detail)
- Drilling machine
- Diamond type bead
The dowel rod was way too long, I could make two wands out of it. I measured the rod and marked halfway, 35cm.
I sanded down the end where I cut the rod to ensure there were no rough spots to catch on my clothes. I clamped it on my workbench to prevent it from moving. Drilled a little hole at the end of the rod to screw my gem in. The wood did crack a little. To prevent further cracking I used the glue gun and glued into the cracks and around the gem to make sure it doesn’t come out at all.
I put the string against the bottom of the gem and glued it in place. I then wound the string around the rod. First I did it really close together for a handle, when I was satisfied that the handle was the right length I wound the string further apart so it looks like a vine. Every so often I put glue on the string to keep it in place.
This has to be the best part as you can paint it any colour you like. Because Ginny has a black wand so I started out painting it completely black. Going around the string and ensuring that there is no part left unpainted can be a little tedious but the end result is so worth it. I put two coats of black to cover it properly.
It looked pretty cool like this and is very much like the one Ginny uses. I just wanted more personality in it to make it me.
I used a small dry brush – the bristles not close together and added purple. It looks like a kind of marble/rustic effect. The rope needed to pop a little so I used a metallic gold for the rope. This was rather tedious work for the rope but really worth the effort for the stunning result.
The closeup shows the colour beautifully but in the other pictures the wand does look more black.
I love the idea of having a spellbook for my character to really come together. It would be fun to learn a spell or two that I can use as well. After a painstaking search on Google I found a really cool DIY spellbook with the Harry Potter spells. Here is the link to download the spellbook yourself the site is called Wild and Wanderful. I did the cover a bit different with some of my natural flair of course.
I wanted the cover to have a bit more worn and aged effect. I searched the internet only to find tea and coffee or other forms of liquid that would ruin my book. Having decided to use some imagination I got out my oil pastel crayons. Using my nail I scraped of some shavings of the colour I wanted onto my cover. I proceeded to rub the shavings into the cover and got a nice little aged effect. It was still lacking something so I used a lighter and touched the edges blowing it out immediately to prevent the entire book burning. It looks pretty cool now.